Versatile Baby Names for Girls
Tips for selecting a baby name for your little girl that has multiple nicknames
Are you still on the hunt for the perfect baby name? Sometimes parents pick a first name with the plan of calling their little one by a nickname.
If you are going this route, it might be a good idea to select a baby name for your little girl that has multiple nicknames. This makes the name very versatile. And when your baby girl gets older, if she doesn’t like the nickname you love, she can use her given name – or one of the other nicknames.
Here are some of our favorite versatile baby names for girls.
- Alexandra: Alex, Alexa, Alexis, Allie, Lexie, Xandra
- Amelia: Amy, Lia, Mia, Millie
- Angelina: Angel, Angie, Annie, Lin, Lina
- Charlotte: Char, Charlie, Lottie
- Christine: Chris, Chrissy, Christa, Christie, Tina
- Elizabeth: Beth, Betsy, Bette, Betty, Eliza, Ellie, Libby, Liz, Lizzie
- Gabrielle: Bree, Elle, Ellie, Gabby, Gabriella, Rielle
- Isabella: Bella, Belle, Ella, Izzie
- Jennifer: Jen, Jenna, Jenny
- Katherine: Kat, Kate, Kathy, Katie
- Margaret: Maggie, Marge, Margie, Meg, Peggy
- Michelle: Chelle, Elle, Mich, Micki, Shelby, Shelly
- Patricia: Pat, Patti, Tricia, Trish
- Veronica: Nicki, Roni, Vera
- Victoria: Tori, Toria, Vic, Vicki
Alternative formal names
On the flip side, if you love a particular nickname but don’t like the first name that typically goes along with it, think outside the box for other names. There might be another formal name that can be used with that particular nickname.
For example, if you love Addie, but aren’t fond of the formal name Addison, you should also consider Adele or Adelaide.
· For the nickname Allie, try Alice or Alissa rather than Alexis or Allison.
· For the nickname Belle, try Arabella or Maribel rather than the ever-popular Isabella.
· For the nickname Beth, try Bethany or Lisbeth rather than Elizabeth.
· For the nickname Carrie, try Carson or Caryn rather than Caroline or Carolyn.
· For the nickname Dani, try Danica or Sheridan rather than Danielle.
· For the nickname Katie, try Cadence or Katelyn rather than Katherine.
· For the nickname Libby, try Liberty or Olivia rather than Elizabeth.
· For the nickname Lily, try Lilibelle or Lilith rather than Lillian or Liliana.
· For the nickname Maddie, try Matilda or Mattea rather than Madeline or Madison.
· For the nickname Nicki, try Dominique or Nicolette rather than Nicole.
· For the nickname Tina, try Bettina or Martina rather than Christina.