- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus additional for the pan
- 1/3 cup sugar, plus 1 1/2 teaspoons for topping
- 1 egg
- 1/4 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup berries (blueberries, raspberries, blackberries or a mixture)
1. Preheat the oven to 375 and butter a muffin tin. In a medium bowl, cream the butter with the sugar. Beat in the egg and lemon zest.
2. In another bowl, whisk together the flours, baking powder, soda and salt. Stir the dry ingredients into the wet in three additions, alternating with the buttermilk and only partially mixing in the last third of the dry ingredients. Stir in the berries.
3. Scoop into the muffin tins and sprinkle the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons of sugar on top of the muffins. Bake until peaked and just firm to the touch, about 15 minutes. Cool slightly and serve with butter and jam.
- Find out more about this recipe on Mom Appetit's blog.