Almond-Cherry Sandwich Dots
These macaroons are a distant relative of the recipe on the Odense Almond Paste box. Lemon zest and vanilla, and cherry jam in the middle, make for a sweet treat perfect for Valentine's Day.
- 7 ounces almond paste
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Tiny pinch salt
- 1 egg white
- 3 tablespoons tart cherry jam, for filling
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. In a food processor, pulse the almond paste, sugars, lemon zest, vanilla and salt until well combined. Pulse in the egg white.
2. Scoop rounded 1/4 teaspoons of cookie dough onto the cookie sheet, leaving 1/2 inch between each cookie. Bake until golden, 10 to 12 minutes. Cool on the pan.
3. Once cool, sandwich cookies with a bit of jam if desired and serve right away. (Unfilled cookies can be stored at room temperature in an airtight container, separated by layers of parchment paper, for up to 3 days.)
- Find out more about this recipe on Mom Appetit's blog.