Lemony Barley - Vegetable Soup
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1/2 fennel bulb, diced, fronds chopped and reserved
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 small yellow squash, diced
- 1/4 cup pearl barley
- 2 wide strips of lemon rind (removed with a vegetable peeler)
- Piece of parmesan cheese rind (optional)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Parmesan cheese, for grating
1. In a heavy soup pot over medium heat, warm the oil. Add the carrot, celery, onion, fennel and salt and toss. Cover and cook for 5 minutes.
2. Stir in the broth, yellow squash, barley, lemon rind strips and parmesan rind if using. Bring to a boil. Simmer, uncovered, until the vegetables and barley are tender, about 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with the reserved fennel fronds and serve, passing parmesan cheese at the table.
- Find more photos of this recipe by Zoe Singer on her blog, Mom Appetit.