Whole Grain Buttermilk Pancakes
- 1/2 cup whole spelt or whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup oat bran (or wheat bran)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk (lowfat or nonfat)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, plus additional for the pan
- For serving: yogurt, sliced bananas or other fruit, maple syrup
1. Preheat the oven to 250 degrees and place a heatproof plate on an oven rack. Heat a griddle or cast iron skillet over medium heat.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the spelt flour, bran, baking soda and salt thoroughly. Add the buttermilk, egg, and melted butter and whisk until just combined.
3. Grease the griddle or skillet with a little butter. Pour 3-inch pancakes one inch apart and let cook until they have small bubbles on top and are firm and golden-brown on the bottom, 2 to 3 minutes. Gently flip and cook until golden-brown on the second side, about 2 more minutes.
4. Transfer the cooked pancakes to the plate in the oven to keep warm. Continue making pancakes, adding butter if the pan seems dry, until you've used all the batter. Serve immediately with yogurt, fruit, and maple syrup.