Crispy Southern Baked Chicken with Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes
- 1 cup nonfat buttermilk
- 4 boned skinless chicken breast halves
- 1 1/2 cups cornflakes
- 3 tablespoons toasted wheat germ with honey
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 cups potatoes (about 3 medium), peeled and cubed
- 4 cloves garlic (optional)
- 2/3 cup nonfat buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1. Combine buttermilk and chicken in a medium bowl. Stir to coat, seal with plastic wrap and refrigerate 30 minutes or longer (all day is preferable). Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Combine cornflakes, wheat germ, thyme, paprika, salt and cayenne pepper in a food processor or blender. Pulse until coarsely ground. Transfer to a shallow dish. Drain buttermilk from each chicken piece, and dredge in seasoned cornflake crumbs. Place coated chicken on prepared baking sheet and bake 30 minutes, or until juicy and cooked through.
2. To make mashed potatoes, place potatoes and garlic in a medium saucepan and cover with warm water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium and simmer 15 minutes or until potatoes are soft.
3. Drain water and add buttermilk and butter. Mash to desired consistency and season with salt and pepper.