Start the day right with this quinoa-yogurt medley.
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/3 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tablespoon slivered almonds
- 4 large apples, cored and chopped
- 1 cup fat-free Greek plain yogurt*
- 1 teaspoon almond butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon honey
1. Rinse quinoa thoroughly in cold water and drain.
2. Place the rinsed quinoa in a medium saucepan with 2 cups water and bring to a rolling boil.
3. Turn down to low heat, cover and cook for 15 minutes until all the water is absorbed.
4. Remove from heat and add in cinnamon and sea salt.
5. In a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, cook almond milk until warm, about 3-4 minutes.
6. Layer quinoa, slivered almonds, apples and Greek yogurt in four serving glasses.
7. Continue layering until glasses are filled. (Make sure quinoa is the top layer.)
8. Pour warm almond milk over the quinoa.
9. Drizzle with warm almond butter and honey and serve immediately.
- *Recipe can be made dairy-free by using dairy-free plain yogurt such as coconut milk yogurt in place of the Greek yogurt. Recipe can be made vegan by using dairy-free plain yogurt and omitting honey.
- Recipe created by Amie Valpone for the Almond Board of California. Photo courtesy of the Almond Board of California.
This recipe delivers essential nutrients (calcium, plus vitamins A, C and K) to nourish you and your growing baby.
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 green onion, white and light green parts, finely chopped (about 1 tablespoon)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 heaping cup leafy greens (baby kale, spinach, Swiss chard or all of the above)
- 1/2 cup cooked whole grains (wheatberries, farro, barley or millet)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Flaky sea salt (such as Maldon)
- Crusty bread, toasted English muffins or warm corn tortillas for serving
1. In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk and kosher salt; set aside. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a nonstick pan over medium heat. Add the green onion and garlic and saute until soft, 1 to 2 minutes. Add greens, grains and remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil and saute until greens are wilted and grains are warmed through, 3 to 5 minutes.
2. Decrease heat to low and pour in egg mixture, gently stirring to combine it with the greens and grains. Continue stirring until eggs are softly scrambled, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat, stir in chives and season with pepper.
3. Serve hot with a sprinkling of sea salt on top and crusty bread, toasted English muffins or warm corn tortillas on the side.
- Adapted from Whole-Grain Mornings by Megan Gordon. Ten Speed Press ($14, amazon.com). Copyright © 2013. Photos by Clare Barboza.