Eat Right Now
Follow these basic nutritional guidelines to ensure that you and your baby get what you both need.
Moms-to-be need at least the following daily:
- 3 servings from the milk, yogurt and
- cheese group
- 6 ounces from the meat, poultry, fish, beans, eggs and nuts group
- 3 servings from the fruit group
- 4 servings from the vegetable group
- 9 servings from the bread, cereal, rice and pasta group
- Use fats, oils and sweets sparingly.
- Aim for 25–35 grams of fiber a day.
- Drink at least 64 ounces of fluid daily, more if you’re active and during hot weather.
- Follow guidelines in the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Guide Pyramid. To order a brochure, write to the Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion, 1120 20th St. N.W., Suite 200, North Lobby, Washington, DC 20036 or visit www.usda.gov/cnpp to download a printable version.