Trying to get pregnant? Make sure you know the bottom line on baby-making—what you don't understand can affect your bub-to-be's health.
Read more »
1 small banana, mashed
1 egg, at room temperature
¼ cup Greek yogurt
2 tablespoons buttermilk
½ teaspoon vanilla
1 cup cake flour
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon baking powder
7 tablespoons sugar
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1 cup favorite chocolate frosting, optional
Sliced banana, for decorating
1. Preheat the oven to 350˚F. Butter and flour an 8-inch springform pan.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the banana, egg, yogurt, buttermilk and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk together the flour, soda, baking powder and salt.
3. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the sugar and butter until fluffy and white. Mix in a third of the wet ingredients on low speed, scraping the bowl as needed. Next mix in half of the dry ingredients on low speed, scraping the bowl. Repeat, ending with the remaining wet ingredients.
4. Scrape the batter into the pan and smooth the top. Bake until the cake is golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 35 minutes.
5. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before frosting. Decorate with sliced banana just before serving. (Alternatively, you can serve the cake unfrosted, accompanied by Greek yogurt and sliced banana and strawberries).