2 cups white whole-wheat flour
½ cup almond flour (available at specialty stores)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon salt
2 large eggs, 1 separated
¼ cup light olive oil
½ cup plus 1 tablespoon turbinado sugar
2 teaspoons finely grated orange zest
½ cup coarsely chopped dried apricots
½ cup coarsely chopped dried cranberries
½ cup coarsely chopped unsalted pistachios
1. Preheat oven to 350° F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone liner.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together flours, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Set aside.
3. In a bowl, beat together 1 whole egg, 1 yolk (reserve egg white), olive oil and ½ cup sugar with a wooden spoon until smooth. Gradually add the flour mixture until just combined. Stir in orange zest, apricots, cranberries and pistachios.
4. On a floured work surface, form dough into 2 logs about 10 inches long. Place on baking sheet and flatten each log until about 1 inch high and 2 inches wide. Brush with reserved egg white and sprinkle with reserved tablespoon of sugar.
5. Bake for about 30 minutes or until cookies are lightly browned and surfaces begin to crack. Remove from oven and cool for 10 minutes, then place logs onto a cutting board.
6. Reduce oven temperature to 325° F. When logs are cool enough to handle, cut into ½-inch-thick slices using a serrated knife. Return slices to baking sheet and bake for 10 to 15 minutes more, depending on desired crispness. Cool completely on a wire rack.
Per cookie: 95 calories, 2 g protein, 13 g carbohydrates, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 13 mg calcium, 0 mg iron, 2 g fiber, 33 mg sodium
Get More: Healthier Cookie Recipes