• ¼ cup butter
• ½ cup packed dark brown sugar
• ⅓ cup nut butter, such as almond, peanut or soy butter
• ¼ cup maple syrup
• ¼ cup pumpkin puree
• 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
• 1 ½ cups rolled oats
• 1 cup brown rice crispies
• ½ cup sliced almonds
• ½ cup dried cranberries or cherries
• ¼ cup pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
• ¼ cup shaved coconut
• 2 tablespoons sesame or flax seeds
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
• ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
• ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
1. Preheat the oven to 325˚. Line a 9-by-9 pan with foil, leaving some overhang, and butter the foil. In a large saucepan, warm the butter with the sugar, maple syrup, pumpkin, nut butter and oil until thoroughly combined. Use a rubber spatula to thoroughly stir in the remaining ingredients.
2. Scrape the mixture into the pan and pat it smooth. Bake until deep golden brown, about 1 hour. Let cool thoroughly, then lift the bar, remove the foil and cut into small squares. Store the bars in an airtight container at room temperature, separated by parchment paper.
Serve as a breakfast-treat on the go or crumble over yogurt.
Tip: If you like salty-sweet snacks, sprinkle a little coarse sea salt over the top before baking.
BACK TO MAIN: 7 Healthy Pumpkin Recipes to Try This Fall