Now that you’re steering clear of cold deli meat, your sandwich selection is limited. To the rescue: a delicious chickpea-stuffed pita. It’s packed with protein, fiber and immunity-building vitamin C. You can also use the bean mixture in a filling salad.
• 1 (14-ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
• 1 small red bell pepper, diced
• ½ English cucumber, diced
• 2 plum (Roma) tomatoes, seeds removed and chopped
• ½ cup finely diced red onion
• ½ cup chopped cilantro or flat-leaf parsley
• 4 ounces (about 1 cup) cubed feta cheese
• ⅓ cup chopped black olives
• ¼ cup raisins
• 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
• 2 tablespoons tahini
• Juice of 1 lemon
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• ½ teaspoon ground cumin
• ¼ teaspoon cayenne
• ¼ teaspoon sea salt
• ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• 1 tablespoon water
• 4 (6-inch) whole grain pitas, sliced in half
1. In a large bowl, toss together the chickpeas, bell pepper, cucumber, tomato, red onion, cilantro or parsley, feta cheese, olives and raisins.
2. Place the olive oil, tahini, lemon juice, garlic, cumin, cayenne, salt, black pepper and water in a blender, and blend until smooth. Add the tahini mixture to the chickpea mixture and stir to coat.
3. To serve, stuff the chickpea mixture into pitas.
BACK TO MAIN: No-Cook, No-Bake Recipes for Summer