• ½ cup Sabra hummus (choose your favorite variety)
• 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (5-6 ounces each, tenderloins removed)
• 1 cup unbleached, all-purpose flour
• 4 large eggs, egg whites only
• 1 tablespoon water
• 1½ cups bread crumbs
• Salt and pepper to taste
• ⅓ cup olive oil
1. Place trimmed chicken breast in a large, Ziploc bag. Pound with a meat pounder or a rolling pin until ¼ inch thick. Repeat with all chicken breasts; each breast should be about 8 inches long and 6 inches wide.
2. Lay the chicken breasts smooth side down on work surface; season with salt and pepper.
3. Evenly spread about two tablespoons of hummus on the chicken breasts, leaving about ½ inch border all around.
4. Roll each chicken breast, wrapping each one in a sheet of aluminum foil (plastic wrap works, too).
5. Twist the ends like a candy wrapper and chill in the refrigerator for about 45 minutes.
6. Heat oven to 400° degrees.
7. Pour the flour in one pie plate (or shallow dish); lightly whisk the egg whites and water in another pie plate; and place the breadcrumbs in a third pie plate.
8. Unwrap the chicken breasts. Using tongs, roll chicken in the flour (shake off excess).
9. Submerge the chicken in the egg whites (let the excess drip off).
10. Place chicken in the breadcrumbs, using your fingers to press the breadcrumbs, so that they stick.
11. Heat 1/4-cup olive oil in a large non-stick skillet until shimmering, about 4 minutes.
12. Place the rolled chicken breasts in the oil, seam side down. Cook until golden, about two minutes on all sides.
13. Put the chicken breasts (seam side down) in a baking dish and cook for about 15 minutes, or until a thermometer registers 160 degrees.
14. Remove from the oven and let sit for five minutes. Using a sharp knife, slice on a bias into four or five pieces.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Sabra