The early weeks of pregnancy are fragile—and confusing. Here, the answers to your questions.
Read more »
Adapted from The River Cottage Family Cookbook
1 cup all-purpose flour
2/3 cup whole wheat pastry flour
3 tablespoons quick-cooking oats
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
¾ teaspoon salt
Small pinch ground nutmeg
1/3 cup raisins
1 cup buttermilk
1. Preheat the oven to 450˚ F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a nonstick liner (or grease it well).
2. In a bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients. Whisk in the raisins. Stir in enough of the buttermilk to make a wet dough (you may not need the full cup).
3. Flour your hands and knead the dough in the bowl for a minute until smooth. Transfer the round to the baking sheet and slash a cross in the top with a sharp knife.
4. Bake for 12 minutes, then reduce the heat to 400˚ and bake until the bottom of the loaf sounds hollow when tapped, 15 to 20 minutes more.
5. Cool for 15 minutes then slice into wedges. Serve with Cheddar cheese and fruit.