• ¼ blood orange section
• ½ pint loosely packed Thai basil leaves (available at Asian grocery stores, or substitute sweet basil)
• 2 ounces distilled water
• ½ ounce freshly squeezed lime juice
• ½ ounce simple syrup
• ¾ ounce pasteurized liquid egg whites*
• 1 Thai basil leaf, reserved from half pint
1. In a pint mixing glass, add blood orange section and Thai basil leaves (reserve 1 leaf for garnish) and press with several times with a cocktail muddler.
2. Add distilled water, lime juice, simple syrup and pasteurized egg whites.*
3. Shake for 6 seconds to froth.
4. Fill glass with ice and shake for an additional 6 seconds.
5. Strain mixture into a chilled cocktail glass, garnish with a Thai basil leaf and serve.
*Consuming unpasteurized egg whites during pregnancy is not advised due to the risk of salmonella.
Per serving (1 drink): 40 calories, 30% protein (3 g), 70% carbohydrate (7 g), 0% fat, 79 mg calcium, 26 mg vitamin C, 1 mg iron, 37 mcg folate, 2 g fiber.
Back to Main: 8 Refreshing Summer Mocktails