• 1 cup uncooked quinoa
• 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
• 1/3 cup unsweetened almond milk
• 1 tablespoon slivered almonds
• 4 large apples, cored and chopped
• 1 cup fat-free Greek plain yogurt*
• 1 teaspoon almond butter, melted
• 1 teaspoon honey
1. Rinse quinoa thoroughly in cold water and drain.
2. Place the rinsed quinoa in a medium saucepan with 2 cups water and bring to a rolling boil.
3. Turn down to low heat, cover and cook for 15 minutes until all the water is absorbed.
4. Remove from heat and add in cinnamon and sea salt.
5. In a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, cook almond milk until warm, about 3-4 minutes.
6. Layer quinoa, slivered almonds, apples and Greek yogurt in four serving glasses.
7. Continue layering until glasses are filled. (Make sure quinoa is the top layer.)
8. Pour warm almond milk over the quinoa.
9. Drizzle with warm almond butter and honey and serve immediately.
*Recipe can be made dairy-free by using dairy-free plain yogurt such as coconut milk yogurt in place of the Greek yogurt. Recipe can be made vegan by using dairy-free plain yogurt and omitting honey.
Recipe created by Amie Valpone for the Almond Board of California
Photo courtesy of the Almond Board of California