• 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon olive oil
• 1 medium onion, diced
• 2 celery stalks, diced (1⁄2 cup)
• 1 large carrot, diced (1 cup)
• 2 pre-cooked Cajun chicken sausages, sliced
• 2 teaspoons ground cumin
• 1 teaspoon sweet paprika powder
• ½ teaspoon garlic powder
• 1 teaspoon chili powder
• 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes
• 1 ½ cups dried lentils, picked through and rinsed
• 4 cups water
Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté for 2 minutes, stirring. Add celery and carrots and continue stirring for 2 more minutes.
Add sausage, cumin, paprika, garlic powder and chili powder and stir for 1 minute, until the scent of the spices is released. Add tomatoes, lentils and 4 cups water; bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to low, cover and cook until lentils are tender, about 30 minutes. Make sure lentils are covered with liquid as they cook. If necessary, add more water to cover.
Remove from heat. For a thinner stew, add more water. For a thicker stew, allow some of the liquid to evaporate by cooking uncovered for 10-15 minutes longer. Ladle into bowls and serve immediately.