At the start of my pregnancy, I craved straightforward, flavorful food like this. The fish is low in mercury, which makes it a great choice for expectant women, and the en papillote technique looks dramatic, but anyone can do it.
• 6 scallions, green parts trimmed
• 1 lime, juiced (about 2 tablespoons)
• 2 tablespoons grapefruit juice
• 2 tablespoons peanut oil
• Salt and freshly ground pepper
• 4 6-ounce boneless/skinless tilapia filets (or snapper)
• 1 1-inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and julienned
• 2 garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
• 1 lime, thinly sliced
• 1 cup cilantro leaves, for garnish
• 2 scallions, thinly sliced on the bias, for garnish
• 2 cups steamed jasmine rice, for serving
1. Preheat oven to 450° F. Cut six scallions in half lengthwise to create 12 equal-length batons, each about 4–5 inches long (they should be about the same length as your fish filets).
2. Prepare marinade: In a small mixing bowl, whisk together lime juice, grapefruit juice, peanut oil and a healthy pinch of salt and pepper. Cut 4 squares of parchment paper (each about 17 inches long) and fold in half so they have a crease down the middle.
3. Working with one portion at a time, place 3 scallion batons side-by-side in the center of each parchment square just to one side of the crease. Place 1 fish filet on top, then top with a little julienned ginger and sliced garlic. Add about 1 tablespoon of the marinade over each filet and cover with 3 lime slices.
4. Fold parchment over fish, then make small overlapping folds along the perimeter to secure the pouch. At the corners, you can make a deeper fold to end up with a half-moon-shaped pocket. Place pouches on a roasting tray and bake in the oven until the parchment has puffed up and browned slightly, about 12 minutes.
5. Serve individual pouches on plates and cut open, being careful of the steam that is released. Garnish with cilantro and scallion. Serve with steamed jasmine rice.
Nutrition score per serving: 344 calories, 37 g protein, 28 g carbohydrates, 10 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 60 mg calcium, 2 mg iron, 3 g fiber, 100 mg sodium, 77 mcg folate