Trying to get pregnant? Make sure you know the bottom line on baby-making—what you don't understand can affect your bub-to-be's health.
Read more »
The Environmental Working Group's Cosmetic Safety Database, Skin Deep, recommends avoiding these ingredients, which have been shown in studies to produce negative health effects:
1. Ceteareth and PEG compounds: Can contain carcinogenic contaminants
2. DMDM Hydantoin: Immune system toxicant, skin toxicant; may irritate the eyes, skin or lungs
3. Formaldehyde: Birth or developmental effects, organ system toxicity (non-reproductive), reproduction and fertility effects
4. Fragrance: Could contain phthalates or other suspect chemicals
5. Parabens: Organ system toxicity; reproductive, fertility, birth or developmental effects
6. Phthalates: Organ system toxicity; affects endocrine system, reproduction and fertility, brain and nervous system, immune system (including sensitization and allergies) and birth or developmental effects
7. Products containing glycol or methyl: Petroleum-derived ingredients that may contain 1,4 dioxane, a known carcinogen, and whose long-term health effects are unclear.
8. Sodium Laureth/Lauryl Sulfate: Skin and eye irritant that may be contaminated with 1,4-dioxane, a known carcinogen
9. Toluene: Birth or developmental effects, cancer, organ system toxicity (non-reproductive), reproduction and fertility
10. Triclosan: Toxicity related to endocrine system, immune system (including sensitization and allergies), reproduction and fertility
Search more then 74,000 products for safety at ewg.org/skindeep.