According to the Harvard study of diet and fertility, the more of the following changes you make, the better your chances of improving your ovulatory function:
- Eat more complex ("slow") carbs and limit highly processed ones.
- Avoid all trans fats and eat more healthy unsaturated fats.
- Get more protein from plants foods like beans and less from red meat.
- Consume one or two servings a day of whole milk or other full-fat dairy foods, such as yogurt, and less non- and low-fat dairy.
- Take a daily multivitamin that contains at least 400 micrograms of folic acid and 40 to 80 milligrams of iron.
- Drink coffee, tea and alcohol in moderation, and avoid sugary drinks entirely.
- Keep your weight in the "fertility zone:" a BMI of 18.5 to 24.
- Exercise 30 to 60 minutes daily for weight management.
Click! For more articles on maximizing fertility, go to fitpregnancy.com/gettingpregnant.