From lap swimming to leg rubs, here are 15 ways to boost your mood.
6. “Nap. What I usually do when I need a pick-me-up is shop, but I couldn’t buy clothes while I was pregnant. Every day, I was a new size! So I napped. When I was working on ‘Picket Fences,’ they were nice enough to let me nap on the set.”
—Marlee Matlin, actress, mother of one, Los Angeles, Calif.
7. “Close your eyes, take a deep breath and put your hands over your womb. Send mental messages of love and welcome to your baby growing inside. Try this several times a day.’’
—Joan Borysenko, Ph.D., author of Woman’s Book of Life and mother of three, Boulder, Colo.
8. “Go to a spa and ask for a cooling leg rub. They massage your legs with French lotions that make you feel as if your legs have been plunged into ice water, and the sensation lasts for hours.”
—Mel Malmberg, writer, mother of two, Windermere, Fla.
9. “Team spirit is a great pick-me-up any time. Although I wasn’t in shape to play much ball, I did continue to coach my daughter’s softball team while I was pregnant. I jumped around so much cheering the girls on and flashing signals and giving high-fives that I got a good workout without ever leaving the sidelines.”
—Heidi Greenberg, paralegal, mother of three, Sunrise, Fla.
10. “At the end of every day of my pregnancy, I listened to a relaxation tape and then recorded my feelings in a journal. It was particularly helpful for me to draw pictures of how I thought the baby looked growing inside of me.”
—Jann Tuoti-Wilson, wellness/program coordinator, Canyon Ranch Health Resort, mother of one, Tucson, Ariz.