Best of the Web
06.03.11 Hits of the week
- Congratulations to Pink! The singer sent out a tweet last night announcing the arrival of her first child—a daughter named Willow. With her June 1 due date come and gone, Pink had hinted over Twitter about going into labor earlier in the day. As our Ask the Labor Nurse blogger emphasizes, moms-to-be today place too much emphasis on a precise due date, which are notoriously imprecise.
- Are you suffering from Oprah withdrawals yet? Here's a look at some favorite parenting moments from The Oprah Winfrey Show compiled by our friends over at Babble. The queen of daytime TV had a way of accentuating the positive, so it's time to do the same as you move along in your pregnancy.
- Super cute ad in which dad uses the Web to share memories with his daughter. Technology has come a long way in terms of creative ways to preserve your family photos and history.
- Our Adventures in Babyland blogger is back from her trip to Europe with her baby and is sharing her traveling pros and cons on various baby gear products. Head over to our Summer Guide if you're planning on taking your baby on the road this upcoming vacation season.
- Have you started thinking about Father's Day yet? Check out these cute bodysuits "dedicated to dear ol' dad." Browse through our Fatherhood section for more insights on the man in your life as he prepares for his new role in life.
- Water birth advocates are sounding the alarm that federal officials are seizing birthing pools as they are imported into the U.S. in an effort to curb home births. Read our former editor's story about giving birth in a pool of water.
- More streets in cities and towns across the U.S. are becoming safer for parents to get on board with family biking (yes, infants, too!). Check out our Cycle of Life page to read how one mom-to-be finds balance on her bike, despite unexpected emotions and uncooperative body parts.
- A woman on the West Coast gives birth over Skype so her soldier husband stationed in North Carolina can share in the moment. Skype is sure coming in handy in all aspects of parenthood, not to mention grandparenthood!
- A new study finds that the longer a woman takes for maternity leave, the longer she breastfeeds. Unfortunately, U.S. maternity benefits are still lagging behind more than 100 other countries.
- New research stresses that every week in utero counts when it comes to the health of your newborn. Our Ask the Labor Nurse discusses what moms-to-be should do when they're close but not close enough to their due dates.
Maria Vega is Fit Pregnancy magazine's copy editor.