Best Of The Web
04.20.12 The online buzz for moms-to-be
- A South Korean ad for Oreo cookies is grabbing a lot of attention for its use of a nursing mom. As one writer puts it: This "Korean Oreo cookie ad may be the breast cookie ad yet." Looks like photos of nursing mothers don't bother people in other countries they do in the U.S.
- The National Center for Children in Poverty is urging U.S. lawmakers to establish paid maternity leave at 14 weeks. As we all know, the United States is one of a handful of countries worldwide that doesn't guarantee paid leave to give birth and care for a newborn.
- A new app called Wee Mail sends you funny texts from your baby every day while you're pregnant, giving you a little sneak peek of what's going on in there. There are plenty of other useful apps available that cater to high-tech moms and dads.
- A pregnant woman from Malaysia will be competing in the London Olympics this summer in the shooting competitions. Sounds like the story last year of the mom-to-be who ran the Chicago Marathon at almost 39 weeks of pregnancy.
- A new study finds that the well-known "5 S's" can also help calm babies after vaccinations. The five soothing techniques were invented by pediatrician Harvey Karp, M.D., who says they can also help prevent child abuse.
- Our friends over at LilSugar have seven smart and creative ways to make a crib in a closet work for you in a small room. Check out our Lean (and Green) Nursery page for tips on putting together your baby's first room on a budget.
- A new study finds that depressed moms are the ones disturbing their babies' sleep. Many new moms are blindsided by postpartum depression, so head over to our Out of the Blue page to learn the risk factors and symptoms.
- Three star moms—Jenna Elfman, Kelly Preston and Laila Ali—came together for a Best for Babes event to raise awareness about breastfeeding and avoiding toxins. Browse through our Celebrity section for more tidbits from other new moms in the Hollywood spotlight.
- New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg has launched a citywide breastfeeding campaign. Check out our Ultimate Guide to Breastfeeding for everything you need to know about nursing your little one.
- We're going to leave you with a video that is sure to make you smile. Enjoy your weekend!
— Maria Vega is Fit Pregnancy magazine's copy editor.