Best Of The Web
04.27.12 The online buzz for moms-to-be
- A writer wonders if posting about your baby on Facebook could hurt you professionally. This is similar to the 2009 study that found a big pay gap between working moms and women with no children.
- Doctors say the freeway shutdown nine months ago nicknamed "Carmageddon" has resulted in a baby boom in Los Angeles. Our Ask the Labor Nurse blogger takes a look at a similar trend: Why so many summer and fall babies?
- This article puts it very succinctly: "Nothing can sink a friendship like differences over parenting." And it doesn't just happen with friends, it can also cause problems with your partner.
- Actress Amy Poehler talks about how she just wasn't made to wear a baby carrier. If you're a baby-wearer, check out our editors' top picks for baby carriers in our annual Buyer's Guide.
- New figures from the Census Bureau cite more interracial couples and a cultural shift across the U.S. for the skyrocketing number of mixed-race babies. In our This Is What Family Looks Like Now page, we're reminded that blood isn't the only bond that unites us.
- Celebrity Jessica Simpson tweeted that she wants to labor in leopard print. Print out our What To Pack For The Hospital list for the 10 must-have items you'll want to take with you when the big day arrives.
- Consumer groups are warning Facebook users to watch out for "sick baby" scams on the social media network. No matter what you're buying online as a new mom—from diapers to Groupon deals on breast milk—you should always be on alert for fraud.
- One writer points out a possible conflict of interest between an author's new book that says breastfeeding "enslaves" women and her role in a PR firm representing formula-makers. For some women, breastfeeding just doesn't work and formula is the way to go.
- Actress Megan Fox and her husband, actor Brian Austin Green, are expecting their first baby together. Check out our Star Moms section to see who else in Hollywood is ready to pop!
- Would you spend $1,200 on a dress for your young daughter? One writer reports that the high-fashion world is turning its focus on little ones now. What ever happened to hand-me-downs?
- We leave you this week with a video that reminds parents that time really does fly, so take a minute to stop and smell the roses with your children.
—Maria Vega is Fit Pregnancy magazine's copy editor.