Best Of The Web
05.18.12 The online buzz for moms-to-be
- Health officials in the U.K. say pregnant women now will have a midwife assigned to each of them before and after they give birth. Check out our How to Choose a Midwife page for answers to the questions most moms-to-be have when trying to decide whether to choose one.
- One writer wonders if the "What to Expect When You're Expecting" book and movie are just making nervous wrecks out of moms-to-be. With the movie out in theaters starting today, browse through our slideshow of baby products that have starring roles in the film.
- Baby time-lapses that use daily images of a child taken by a parent are becoming increasingly common as a way of documenting a baby's development. Our Picture Imperfect page shows how one mom broke free from her other full-time job of documenting every step of her children's days. (It was exhausting, she says!)
- Stay-at-home moms are fighting a new credit card rule that makes it harder for them to qualify. Head over to our Babynomics page for tips on how to have a baby without breaking the bank.
- A new study finds that every four hours a child younger than 3 is treated at the hospital ER for an injury caused by a bottle, pacifier or sippy cup. Check out our Keep Your Baby Safe page for tips to help you childproof your home.
- An Indian movie star—considered to be "the most beautiful woman in the world" when she was crowned Miss World—is being slammed in her home country for not losing weight fast enough after giving birth to her daughter. It takes some women a lot longer to shed the pounds gained during pregnancy, but our seven surefire ways can help new moms get back into shape after having a baby.
- There is a rising trend in the U.S. of would-be grandparents supporting their daughters in freezing their eggs for future use. One Fit Pregnancy writer wrote about her experience using an egg donor when it came time for her to conceive.
- New star mom Hilary Duff tweeted a photo of her and her son celebrating their first Mother's Day together. The actress and singer recently helped launch a charity effort with Johnson's Baby to help families who are victims of natural disasters.
- Just in time for summer, our friends over at LiLSugar have a sunscreen 101 guide to help parents keep little ones safe in the sun. Moms-to-be need protection, too! Head over to our Sun Smarts page for products to shield your skin while out having fun.
- One new mom shares her real-life experience with postpartum anxiety after her baby was born. Click over to our When Mama Sings the Blues page for more on how postpartum mood disorders are treatable.
- With the buzz still surrounding the recent Time magazine cover, one writer tackles the flip side: Breastfeeding is not intuitive and easy for a lot of women. Our Milk Duds page tells you simple ways to overcome sore nipples, low milk supply and other common problems.
- This handy chart will show you the most common birth dates in the U.S. The graphic confirms what our Ask the Labor Nurse blogger verified recently when she asked: "Why are there so many summer/fall babies?"
- We leave you this week with a funny video of a puppy teaching a baby how to crawl. Enjoy!