Father's Day 2010
06.16.10 Celebrate the men in your life with gifts that have a personal touch.
With fatherhood on the attack in the media these days, it seems especially appropriate for all of us to take a moment this Sunday on Father's Day to thank the men in our lives—the ones called "Dad."
Today's dads are creating a new identity, with men being more active and involved fathers. So involved that a new books says a dad's hormones change, too, during pregnancy. Plus, there's been a real shift in the way men talk about fatherhood: They know they're not perfect, but most dads are trying to be hands-on—like it or not, moms!
We've rounded up a few links for inspiration as you stop to thank the special men in your life—whether it's your partner or your own dad—for all that they do all year-round and throughout our lives.
WORDS OF WISDOM
- Sorry to say it, but dads don't get as much attention as moms on their special day.
- In honor of Father's Day, a news site's readers share the quirky traits they inherited from their dads.
- A father and daughter bond, page by page.
- What happens when dad isn't the world's greatest? Well, many years ago, the lazy ones were sent to a farm.
- This Father's Day, our Ask the Labor Nurse blogger suggests moms offer support so that fathers can make solid, independent decisions. "They're fathers, not mother's helpers."
- Check out this woman's five reasons stay-at-home dads rule.
- From one man to another, here is some Father's Day advice for single dads.
- One son says "thank you" to his dad.
- Watch these video clips! Nobody says it better than America's favorite TV dad Bill Cosby—especially when it comes to the subjects of Father's Day and education.
- Tackle fatherhood with these six cool dad-friendly baby gear picks.
- Here are some ways to get your children involved this Father's Day.
- How about some do-it-yourself Father's Day cards?
- Celebrity dads offer up some helpful Father's Day gift ideas.
- On a budget? Check out these under-$25 gift ideas.
- If it's all about technology, browse through these Father's Day gifts for web-savvy dudes.
- Scan through these present ideas for dads who read.
- Or how about something less-ordinary: Eight offbeat ways to celebrate dear old dad.
- Grooming gifts to keep dad looking good.
- Honor your dad by staying within your budget!
- From style tips to grilling gear, this Father's Day guide has you covered.
- Still stumped? From the foodie to the sports fan, these presents are perfect.
- A first-time dad tells it like it is, which most guys can appreciate.
- One dad shares his 1,001 rules for his unborn son.
- A site geared specifically to new dads.
- A blog to help modern fathers "maximize their connections to their families."
- A dad shares his stories of raising a daughter when his wife dies a day after giving birth.
- If you're looking for a good laugh and some blunt, age-old wisdom from a 70-something dad, then S**t My Dad Says is the blog for you.
- We've all been there: You're on vacation with your parents and someone takes out a camera and actually starts taking photos. See the results of these awkwards moments at the photo blog Dads on Vacation.
Maria Vega is Fit Pregnancy magazine's copy editor