With the cold weather in full swing, we are sure most moms-to-be are struggling to stay happy and healthy during these long winter months.
However there are special considerations for a winter pregnancy that most women never even think about (maternity coats, anyone? How about a warm cover for the stroller?). After all, it's hard to avoid the harshness of winter when at some point this month it was snowing in 49 of the 50 U.S. states on the same day.
Being pregnant during the winter has its advantages and disadvantages. So check out our tips for braving the winter months:
- Flu shots for everyone—that includes you, mama (or mama-to-be)! They're not only safe but necessary when dealing with dropping temperatures and germs floating everywhere.
- Drive with extra precaution, and always wear your seat belt (no matter your due date)! Don't forget to pack emergency essentials, such as a blanket, water and boots. You never know when a beautiful winter day could turn into a blizzard.
- If your little one is here already, remember that fall babies face a higher asthma risk, so take extra care of him or her during the winter.
- Layers are your friends during the winter months as a mom-to-be. Wrap yourself and your baby bump for some cool comfort in luxurious knit sweaters, scarves and coats.
- If your old winter coat just won't button, time to buy a maternity one! They're not as boxy as they used to be, so don't worry about compromising on style.
- Boots with traction are a necessity. Flats and heels are cute for the office, but they're not so stable if you have a wintry morning commute.
- Traveling while pregnant has gotten easier over the years, but remember to be prepared for anything and everything.
- For most women, even during pregnancy, their biggest challenge is to keep their skin moisturized and protected. Check out our Treats & Tricks page for natural remedies for soft, clear skin this winter.
- Pregnancy can be tough on your mind and emotions—now add staying indoors a lot to the mix. Browse through our Manage Your Moods page for the best ways to stay on an even keel.
- Got cabin fever? Our readers shared their tips, too, for our recent question: As a new mom or mom-to-be, how do you keep cabin fever at bay? Check out their answers on our Facebook page!
- If snow is getting in the way of your daily walking routine, head to the gym or pop in a prenatal yoga DVD at home!
- Our friends over at LilSugar also have some great advice on surviving a cold-weather pregnancy.
- When the weather turns cold, check out our Winter Wonders recipes featuring this season's greens and grains to make nourishing meals for you and your growing baby.
- And when all else fails to please your craving, turn to our recipes for comfort food (with a pregnancy-friendly twist!).
- If your little one is already here, check out our Bundle Up page to read up on some precautions so you and your little one can safely brave that winter weather. Plus, how to keep your baby healthy this winter.