Pasta with Ricotta, Peas and Asparagus for Babies and Grown-Ups
small bunch asparagus, trimmed
wheat or rice fusilli
fresh or frozen peas
(6 ounces) fresh whole-milk ricotta cheese
Salt and pepper
Sliced fresh mint (optional)
Grated parmesan cheese
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add the asparagus. Cook until crisp-tender, 4-6 minutes. Use tongs to transfer all but 1 stalk of asparagus to a plate. Cook the last stalk until very soft, about 3 minutes longer; transfer to a plate.
2. Cook the pasta in the boiling water, adding the peas for the last 3 minutes. Drain.
3. While the pasta cooks, chop the asparagus for the grown-ups and mince or puree the soft-cooked stalk for baby.
4. For baby, serve pasta mixed with ricotta, minced or pureed asparagus and mashed or pureed peas. (For younger babies puree the veggies, pasta and ricotta together.)
5. For grown-ups, serve the pasta tossed with asparagus and peas. Top with a large spoonful of ricotta; garnish with mint if using and season with salt and pepper. Pass parmesan at the table.