Sourdough Kale Strata
Prep Time: 8 minutes
Cook Time: 60 minutes
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large finely diced shallot 6 cups kale, washed,
deveined and torn into bite-sized pieces (about 1 bunch)
1⁄4 teaspoon salt 10 eggs
2 cups 2% milk
1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
4 cups sourdough bread (best with stale bread) torn into bite-sized pieces
11⁄2 cups shredded gruyere cheese, divided
1. Heat olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. add shallots and sauté 2 minutes. Add kale and salt and cook another 2 minutes. Set aside.
2. Whisk together eggs, milk and pepper in a large bowl.
3. Coat a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with cooking spray. add kale mixture, torn bread and 1 cup cheese. toss together and spread evenly over pan.
4. Pour egg mixture into the dish and top with remaining cheese.
5. Cover strata with aluminum foil and let stand 20 minutes (this allows the bread to absorb the egg mixture) or refrigerate overnight.
6. Preheat oven to 400° F. (If dish was refrigerated, let it warm up at room temperature for a bit so it won’t crack in the oven.) Bake 35 minutes, then remove foil and continue baking 15 to 20 minutes until puffed and golden brown around edges. Let stand 5 minutes beefore serving.
Nutritional information per serving
Per serving: 358 calories, 22 g protein, 24 g carbohydrate, 19.5 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 438 mg calcium, 3 mg iron, 91 mcg folate, 1.5 g fiber