Asparagus and Spring Onions
Serves 2 to 4
Prep Time: 3 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 large spring onions, with greens (or one small bunch scallions), sliced
½ teaspoon salt
1 bunch asparagus, ends trimmed, heads removed, stalks sliced
1. In a skillet over medium-high heat, melt butter in the oil. Add the spring onions and salt and sauté until lightly browned, 3 minutes.
2. Add the asparagus stalks and heads to the skillet, reduce the heat to medium and sauté until tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a bowl.
• Serve as a side dish or nestle fried eggs into the sauté and serve with toast.
• Toss with 12 ounces cooked pasta or ravioli and a bit of cream or fresh ricotta cheese. Add blanched green peas if desired.
• Fold into an omelet with grated cheese such as parmesan or fontina.
• Reserving the asparagus heads for garnish, add a splash of chicken stock or cream to the sautéing stalks and cook until completely tender, then puree until smooth; serve as a sauce for simply-cooked fish or chicken, garnished with the sautéed asparagus heads.
Find out more about this recipe on Mom Appetit's blog.