Chickpea Burgers with Spicy Tahini Sauce
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
These veggie burgers are similar to falafel, minus the deep frying. (Tahini is a sesame paste used in Middle Eastern cooking. Look for it in large supermarkets and health food stores.)
Pregnancy perk: Rich in fiber, chick peas will help keep things moving smoothly.
For the spicy tahini sauce:
1/4 cup tahini
2 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon lime juice
1 tablespoon orange juice
1/2 teaspoon hot sauce, such as Tabasco or Cholula
1/4 teaspoon honey
For the burgers:
1 14-ounce can chickpeas, drained
1 bunch Italian parsley, stems removed
1 teaspoon hot sauce, such as Tabasco or Cholula
1 teaspoon sweet paprika
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
10 saltine crackers, crushed to fine crumbs
1 cup onion, finely diced (about 1 onion)
1 tablespoon grapeseed oil
2 whole-wheat pita bread rounds, cut in half (4 pita pockets)
4 romaine lettuce leaves
1/2 red onion, sliced thinly
1 large tomato, sliced
1. In a small bowl, whisk all tahini sauce ingredients. Set aside.
2. For burgers, place chickpeas, parsley, hot sauce, paprika, cumin, garlic powder and salt in the bowl of a food processor and pulse several times until parsley is chopped and chickpeas are crushed into a rough paste. (Alternately, chop the parsley finely with a knife and mash the chickpeas with a potato masher.)
3. Put chickpea mixture in a medium bowl. Crush the saltine crackers in a food processor or place them in a sealed plastic bag and roll over them with a wine bottle or a can. Add the crushed saltines, onion and egg to the chickpea mixture. Using your hands, incorporate all ingredients into a uniform paste and knead a few times. Form into 4 large patties, about 4 inches in diameter.
4. In a large nonstick or cast iron skillet over medium-high heat, place 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil. Once oil is hot, place patties in the skillet. Cook until golden, about 3 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels.
5. Stuff each pita pocket with lettuce, onion, tomato and burger patty. Drizzle with spicy tahini.
Find more recipes inspired by five world cuisines.