Sesame Ginger Quinoa Spring Rolls
Prep Time: 40 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
1 cup quinoa (preferably red)
1 3∕4 cups water
1∕3 cup walnut pieces
2 cups arugula
1 large carrot, sliced into matchsticks
1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
1⁄4 cup olive oil
4 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
3 tablespoons rice vinegar
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon ginger, minced
2 teaspoons sesame oil
1⁄4 teaspoon salt
20 rice paper wrappers
Juice of 1⁄2 lime
2 teaspoons garlic chili sauce (optional)
1. In a medium saucepan, combine quinoa and water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer covered until liquid has absorbed.
2. While quinoa is cooking, toast walnuts in a dry skillet over medium heat until lightly browned, about 3 minutes, stirring often.
3. Fluff cooked quinoa with a fork and combine in a large bowl with walnuts, arugula, carrot and red pepper. In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, 2 tablespoons soy sauce, 2 tablespoons rice vinegar, garlic, ginger, sesame oil and salt; stir into quinoa mixture.
4. Fill a shallow pan large enough to set the rice papers in with hot water and soak one rice paper until softened, about 15 seconds. Remove and place 1 ⁄3 cup of the quinoa filling down the center of the paper. Fold the top and bottom edges over the mixture, then fold one of the remaining sides over the top and roll tightly. Slice on the diagonal and continue with remaining papers and quinoa filling.
5. In a small bowl, whisk together remaining 2 tablespoons soy sauce, remaining rice vinegar, lime juice and garlic chili sauce; serve as a dipping sauce.
Nutritional information per serving
Per serving: 615 calories, 14 g protein, 85 g carbohydrate, 24.5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 82 mg calcium, 4.4 mg iron, 125 mcg folate, 8.5 g fiber