Pickled Party Shrimp
This effortless crowd-pleaser is the perfect make-ahead potluck dish.
- 1/4 cup pickling spices (found in the spice aisle)
- 2 pounds raw jumbo shrimp (16-20 per pound), peeled and deveined (if using frozen shrimp, defrost according to package instructions)
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Salt, to taste
- 2 lemons, thinly sliced
- 1/2 red onion, very thinly sliced
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced diagonally
- Hot sauce, such as Tabasco (optional)
1. Place pickling spices inside a tea ball infuser or put them in a piece of cheesecloth and tie closed with kitchen twine. Fill a large pot with water, add pickling spices and bring to a boil over high heat. Allow spices to boil for 10 minutes, then add shrimp and cook for 3 minutes. Meanwhile, make a dressing by whisking lemon juice, olive oil, lemon zest, celery seed, mustard and salt in a medium bowl. Once shrimp are done, strain, discarding spices. Add shrimp to dressing, along with sliced lemon, onion and celery. Toss and transfer to an airtight container or resealable bag and place in refrigerator. Allow at least 2 hours (and up to 24 hours) before serving, gently shaking container or bag occasionally so flavors meld. Serve with hot sauce on the side if desired.