My 4-month-old's eyes seem to turn inwards. What should we do?

Q: I recently sent pictures of my 4-month-old son to his grandparents, and they all noticed that one of his eyes turns inward. What should we do?

A: Relatives looking at baby pictures often make this diagnosis before doctors do, so alert your pediatrician and ask for a referral to a pediatric ophthalmologist right away. If your child does indeed have a "wandering" eye, treatment options may include patching, glasses or surgery so the brain does not "shut off" the messages it is receiving from the crossed eye. The sooner you do this, the better.