Comforting Chicken and Rice Soup
- 1 quart chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 2/3 cup sushi or other short-grain white rice
- 3/4 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 cups (2 ounces) pre-washed baby spinach, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced parsley
- Salt and pepper
1. In a large pot, bring the chicken stock to a boil. Add the carrots and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the rice and simmer for 10 more minutes. Add the chicken thighs, cover and simmer gently for 5 minutes, then turn off the heat and leave covered until the thighs are cooked through (cut into the thickest part - no trace of pink should remain), about 10 more minutes.
2. Transfer the chicken to a board and cut into bite-size pieces. Stir the spinach and parsley into the soup and bring the soup back to a simmer. Add the chicken, season with salt and pepper to taste and serve hot.
- Find more healthy and kid-friendly recipes on the Mom Appetit blog.