Apple-Carrot Slaw With Toasted Coconut
Coconut adds a hint of tropical sweetness to this healthy and vitamin packed alternative to the traditional side dish.
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- a pinch of cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 pound Macoun apples
- 1/2 pound grated carrots
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- 1 tablespoon chopped flat-leaf parsley
1. Add 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes to a small skillet and toast over medium heat, tossing occasionally, for 3 to 5 minutes.
2. Add 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds and toast for 30 seconds more. Remove from pan and cool completely.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice, 1/4 teaspoon salt, a pinch of cayenne pepper and 2 tablespoons olive oil. Set aside.
4. Quarter, core and thinly slice 1/2 pound Macoun apples; toss in a large bowl with 1/2 pound grated carrots.
5. Add coconut mixture, lemon dressing, 1 tablespoon chopped chives and 1 tablespoon chopped flat-leaf parsley. Toss to coat; serve immediately.