- 3 1/4 cups "old-fashioned" rolled oats
- 1 medium Macintosh apple, cored and coarsely chopped (leave the peel on)
- 1 1/4 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons granola
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
1. To cook in microwave: Combine 1 1/2 cups water with first five ingredients (oats through brown sugar) in a 1-quart microwaveable bowl. Cover and microwave on high for 5 minutes or until most of the water is absorbed. Let sit for about 1 minute to thicken.
2. To make on stove top: Bring 1 1/2 cups water to a boil in a small saucepan. Add oats, apple and cinnamon and stir until combined. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. When most of the water is absorbed and the apples are softened, remove from heat and stir in vanilla and brown sugar. Divide into two bowls. Top each serving with 1 tablespoon granola and 1 tablespoon walnuts.