- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, cut in half lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, cubed
- 1 1/2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3/4 cup hot water
- 20 dried apricots
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 cups cooked brown rice
1. Heat olive oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; saute until onion is soft but not brown, about 10 minutes. Add the next five ingredients (chili powder through ginger powder) and saute for 2 more minutes, or until spices are fragrant.
2. Add chicken to onion mixture and cook, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is no longer pink, approximately 10 minutes. Meanwhile, combine tomato paste and water in a separate bowl; stir until tomato paste is completely dissolved.
3. When chicken is cooked, add the tomato-paste mixture, apricots, sugar and salt and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat, cover and cook for 20 minutes, or until chicken is tender. Spoon apricot-chicken mixture over rice and serve.