Asparagus and Spring Onions
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large spring onions, with greens (or one small bunch scallions), sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 bunch asparagus, ends trimmed, heads removed, stalks sliced
1. In a skillet over medium-high heat, melt butter in the oil. Add the spring onions and salt and saute until lightly browned, 3 minutes.
2. Add the asparagus stalks and heads to the skillet, reduce the heat to medium and saute until tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a bowl.
- Serve as a side dish or nestle fried eggs into the saute and serve with toast.
- Toss with 12 ounces cooked pasta or ravioli and a bit of cream or fresh ricotta cheese. Add blanched green peas if desired.
- Fold into an omelet with grated cheese such as parmesan or fontina.
- Reserving the asparagus heads for garnish, add a splash of chicken stock or cream to the sauteing stalks and cook until completely tender, then puree until smooth; serve as a sauce for simply-cooked fish or chicken, garnished with the sauteed asparagus heads.
- Find out more about this recipe on Mom Appetit's blog.