Avocado Barley Bowl
Folate-rich avocados and protein-packed almonds both boost Baby's brain development.
- 1 1/2 cups cooked barley, warmed
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 small ripe avocado, peeled, pitted and sliced
- Lemony Yogurt Sauce (recipe follows)
- Flaky sea salt (such as Maldon)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- Pinch of kosher salt
Make ItFor Barley Bowl:
1. In a small bowl, stir the barley, almonds and kosher salt together. Scoop into 2 individual bowls and top with the avocado and a few generous spoonfuls of yogurt sauce. Sprinkle with flaky salt and pepper.For Lemony Yogurt Sauce:
2. Whisk all the ingredients together in a small bowl. Refrigerate any leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 days. If the sauce begins to separate, just give it a good stir before using.
- Adapted from Whole-Grain Mornings by Megan Gordon, Ten Speed Press ($14, amazon.com). Copyright 2013. Photos by Clare Barboza.