Baked Rhubarb with Berries and Candied Ginger
- 2 pounds rhubarb
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon minute tapioca
- Juice and long strands of zest of 1/2 orange
- 3 cloves
- 1 pint ripe strawberries, blackberries or mulberries, sliced
- 2 tablespoons candied ginger, thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons strained plain yogurt (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Wash rhubarb, remove ends of stalks, then slice crosswise into 1/2-inch chunks. If the stalks are very thick, halve them lengthwise first. Toss sugar, tapioca, juice, zest and cloves together and place in an 8-by-10-inch gratin dish.
2. Cover mixture with foil and bake until rhubarb is tender, approximately 35-45 minutes. When rhubarb is finished cooking, add berries and gently break mixture up with a fork. Serve chilled or at room temperature, garnished with ginger and a dollop of yogurt, if desired.