- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse (kosher) salt
- 3 large, ripe bananas, peeled and mashed (about 2 cups)
- 1 cup dried currants
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 9-inch-by-5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray. Whisk together first seven ingredients (all-purpose flour through salt) in a medium bowl; set aside.
2. Combine remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Stir in flour mixture and mix well. Pour into prepared pan.
3. Bake for 30 minutes; then fold a piece of aluminum foil in half and place loosely over bread to form a tent. Bake 30 minutes more, or until cooked through. Cool for 10 minutes in pan; remove from pan and place on a wire rack to cool completely.