Black Bean and Zucchini Quesadillas
Adapted from Fresh Food Fast, by Peter Berley with Melissa Clark.
- 3 small zucchini or summer squash, grated
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 10 ounces grated Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced white onion or scallion
- 1 jalapeno, minced (or to taste)
- Olive oil, for brushing
- 8 medium flour tortillas
- Salsa verde, for serving
1. In a colander, toss the zucchini with the salt and press out as much water as possible. Transfer the zucchini to a bowl and toss with the beans, cheese, onion and jalapeno (if using).
2. Heat a large skillet over medium heat and brush it with oil. Add a tortilla and top with a quarter of the zucchini mixture. Place a second tortilla on top and cook, pressing down lightly with a spatula, until the cheese is melting and the bottom is golden-brown, 2 to 4 minutes. Flip the quesadilla and cook until the second side is golden, about 3 more minutes. Transfer to a board and repeat with the remaining ingredients.
3. Cut the quesadillas into wedges and serve with the salsa. (For kids, use a little less onion and leave out the jalapeno.)