Braised Curried Tofu in Coconut Milk with Peas
- 1 16 ounce carton soft or firm tofu, packed in water
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 heaping tablespoon finely chopped ginger
- 1 15 ounce can light coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon Thai curry paste (or 1 tablespoon Patak's Hot Curry Paste), or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro stems plus chopped leaves for garnish
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Juice of 1 lime, or to taste
- 4 cups cooked brown or white rice
- 2 tablespoons roasted peanuts or cashews (optional)
1. Drain tofu and set on a cutting board while you assemble the rest of the ingredients.
2. Heat oil in a 10-inch saute pan. Add onion and cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until limp and translucent, 3-4 minutes. Stir in garlic and ginger; add coconut milk, curry paste, salt and cilantro stems. Simmer gently.
3. Cut tofu into cubes or triangles. Add to sauce, raise heat to medium and cook until heated through, approximately 5 minutes. Add peas and cook for a few minutes until hot. Season with lime juice.
4. Spoon tofu and sauce over rice and garnish with roasted nuts and reserved cilantro leaves.