Brown Basmati Pilaf with Green Beans
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 inch ginger root, peeled and minced
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
- 1/4 teaspoon each ground cumin, coriander and turmeric
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 cup brown basmati rice
- 10 ounces green beans, trimmed and thinly sliced into rounds
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/3 cup coconut milk
- Freshly squeezed juice of 1/2 lemon plus additional to taste
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped pistachios, for garnish
- Plain yogurt, for serving (optional)
1. In a heavy saucepan over medium-high heat, warm the oil. Add the onion and salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until brown in spots, 5 minutes. Add the ginger, garlic and spices and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the rice and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
2. Stir the green beans, water and coconut milk into the rice and bring the liquid to a simmer. Cover the pot and simmer gently until the rice is tender, about 50 minutes. Let rest, covered, for a few minutes.
3. Season the rice with lemon juice to taste. Serve garnished with the chopped pistachios. This is excellent as a side dish with chicken or fish, or vegetable curries, or it can be served on its own, accompanied by plain yogurt.
- Learn more about this recipe including step-by-step photos at Mom Appetit's blog.