Brunch Recipe: Carrot Cake Waffles
- 1 pound , 2 ounces all-purpose flour
- 4 1/2 ounces sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/3 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3 cups milk
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 6 ounces grated carrots
- 5 ounces chopped toasted almonds
- 3 ounces currants
- 2 ounces unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2 cups maple syrup, heated
- 3 cups Creme fraiche or yogurt
- 1/2 cup currants
- 1 cup chopped toasted almonds
Make ItFor the batter:
1. Sift flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and ginger into bowl.
2. In separate bowl, whisk together milk, butter, egg yolks and almond extract.
3. Whisk milk mixture into flour mixture just until blended; do not overbeat.
4. Fold in carrots, almonds, currants and coconut.
5. In clean bowl, whisk egg whites until soft peaks form.
6. Fold egg whites into batter.For each serving, to order:
7. Heat a 2-square Belgian waffle iron.
8. Ladle 1-cup batter into waffle iron; spread with spatula.
9. Close waffle iron; bake until well browned.
10. Cut waffles apart; cut each waffle on the diagonal into 2 triangles. 3. Stack triangles, alternating direction of points. Pour syrup around waffles.
11. Top waffles with creme fraiche and remaining currants; sprinkle with almonds.
- Recipe and photo courtesy of California Almonds