Buttermilk-Cranberry Sauce Upside-Down Cake
- 1/2 cup whole-berry cranberry sauce
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- Large pinch salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 2/3 packed cup light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup chopped, toasted pecans
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Butter an 8-by-3-inch cake pan. If using a springform pan, wrap the outside in a sheet of foil to prevent leaks.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, soda, nutmeg and salt.
3. In an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat the butter and brown sugar at medium-high speed until fluffy. Beat in the egg and vanilla. At low speed, mix in the dry ingredients in 3 batches, alternating with the buttermilk, until just combined. Fold in the pecans.
4. Spread the cranberry sauce evenly in the bottom of the prepared pan. Scrape the batter over the cranberry sauce, smoothing the top. Bake until the top is golden and a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool in the pan. To serve, run a knife around the edge and invert onto a plate. Cut into wedges.