Cheddar and Scallion Bites
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 10 tablespoons buttermilk*
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1/4 cup cottage cheese
- 1 cup grated extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced scallions or chives
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and butter and flour two mini muffin tins. In a bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and soda. In a separate bowl, stir together the buttermilk*, egg, melted butter and cottage cheese. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix until barely combined. Gently stir in the cheddar and scallions.
2. Divide the batter between the muffin tins and bake until golden brown, about 18 minutes. Run a small offset spatula or knife around the edge of the tins. Serve the cheddar bites warm. Can be frozen for up to 1 month. Reheat at 350 degrees F.
- * Or 6 tablespoons lowfat milk and 4 tablespoons plain yogurt.