Cherry Coconut Toffee
Anette Righi DeFendi of Kohler Chocolates in Wisconsin says this Valentine's Day recipe is easy to make, but will "impress anyone." We're in!
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 centimeter light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1/4 cup unsweetened, shredded coconut
- 3/4 cup dark chocolate (55 to 70 percent), melted
- 3/4 cup dried tart cherries
1. Melt butter in saucepan over medium-high heat. Add sugars, water and salt; stir until a digital thermometer reads 285 degrees F (mixture will be thick and amber). Remove from heat; carefully stir in extracts.
2. Pour onto parchment-lined baking sheet and sprinkle with coconut; let cool for 1 hour. Drizzle chocolate on top and dot with cherries. Refrigerate until toffee snaps easily, about 45 minutes, then break into pieces.