- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup raw sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and sliced
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons oats
- 1 cup buttermilk
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment or a nonstick liner.
2. In a bowl, whisk together the flours, sugar, baking powder and soda, cinnamon and salt. Add the butter and pinch and rub it into the dry ingredients with your fingers until no pieces are larger than a pea. Stir in the walnuts and oats.
3. Add the buttermilk and stir until mostly combined. Use an ice cream scoop or 1/4 cup measure to portion out 10 round scones; flatten them slightly with a damp palm.
4. Bake until golden brown, 12-14 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack and eat warm or at room temperature. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
NoteFor Freezer Scones:
- Portion onto foil and freeze unbaked. Once solid, transfer to an airtight container or bag and store in the freezer for up to a month. Bake at 425 degrees from frozen, adding a few minutes to the baking time.
- Find out more about this recipe on Mom Appetit's blog.